Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Stone-Cold Brew. Ski.

First post of December! Woooo! I'm locked in to posting every day for a month with NaBloPoMo. Good accountability. Check it out.

In other news, it's 5:25 am and I'm kicking off my day with a new obsession- cold brewed coffee. I LOVE this stuff. I read about it in Readymade Magazine a few months ago (my favorite mag since the death of Blueprint- RIP Blueprint! There are hardly even any online remnants of this magazine to link to).

Essentially, you brew the coffee with cold water. Der.

I take an old 16 oz. peanut butter jar and fill it with delicious tap water. It would probably be smart for my roommates and I to filter our water... but we've made it this far, eh? I think the water's pretty good here. And you know what? If my inattentiveness to my water source makes me a bad coffee connoisseur, I don't want to be a good one, you suckers. Yes, suckers. I'm feisty at what is encroaching on 5:45 in the morning. Moving forward...

I put about 3-4 tbs. of ground coffee into the water, pop the lid on, and agitate the water a bit (in other words, shake it like a Polaroid picture). Leave it in the fridge for a few hours; I usually keep it there over night.

When it's ready, run it through a paper coffee filter to ditch the grounds. I just place the coffee filter in my coffee maker and run the coffee through the front filter like you would normally. As you can see, you don't really lose any steps here in brewing except for the heating of the water before it runs through the filter. Rinse the grounds out of your jar and pour the filtered coffee back in.

Voila! Cold coffee! It should be the color of the normal coffee you brew- perhaps a shade lighter. I don't add anything to it. I find that it's less bitter than normal coffee so I'm pretty content to drink it as-is.

Let me know what you think. Oh, and have a good morning!

1 comment:

Ms. Diva said...

Ohhh! That sounds great! I'm going to have to try it!